Over the next several months, I will be spending many, many, many hours in training (By the time the walk starts, I will have logged enough miles to take me from Phoenix to my hometown of Houston!
I have committed to raising $2,200 to participate in this walk. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me achieve this goal. I’ll be doing all the walking...all you need to do is follow this link to my fundraising headquarters to submit your contribution.
You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer and I would be proud to walk in her honor as well. Please feel free to send me an email or leave a comment with their name. I will create a ribbon just for them and attach it to my backpack.Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. Both its cause and the means for its cure remain undiscovered. I’m taking on this challenge to do something big that will help raise awareness and help in finding a cure.
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope that you’ll share in this incredible adventure with me. Please leave comments or email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
Saturday, April 26, 2008
1. 10 years ago - I was finishing my senior year of high school. I went to my prom, took my finals, and got my diploma. I can't believe it's been 10 years. Time flies!
2. 5 things on my to do list - walk at least 5 miles today, plan fundraising activities, write thank you notes, go shopping, and get ready for our anniversary dinner tonight.
3. Snacks that I enjoy- s'mores, cookies, chips & salsa, Snickers, and ice cream
4. What would I do if I suddenly became a billionaire - Move to a tropical island paradise and spend every day at the beach
5. 5 places I have lived - Houston, College Station, Bryan, Fort Worth and Phoenix
6. 5 jobs I have had - Systems Engineer, Procurement Engineer, Project Engineer, Avon Rep, and Umpire
7. 3 of my bad habits - I don't do dishes, I don't hang my clothes up, and I procrastinate
8. 5 random things people don't know about me - Lettered in 5 high school activities (softball, volleyball, soccer, debate, and academic decathlon), I am a member of two Greek organizations (Alpha Pi Mu Industrial Engineering Honor Society and Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority), I have a masters degree in engineering, I am an aunt to 20+ kids with 3 more on the way, and I've hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up
Tag you're it Chase!
Last weekend Christy and I got pedicures. I figured that I better take a picture of my toes since they might not look this good for a long time (see Inspirational Poem). Linda told me after she did her three day her feet have never been the same again. I will be sure to take some before and after pictures to keep track.
Sunday afternoon I completed my first 10 mile training walk. Woohoo! I am building up some awesome calluses from all this walking. I also got my first blister. =(
I have committed to bringing a treat into work once a week and selling it to raise money for my three day. It's dual purpose since most weeks I have to make a cake for my Wilton cake decorating class anyway and I couldn't possibly eat all the cake I make. This week I made a fondant bow cake shaped like a Tiffany Box. I think my co-workers appreciate the treats and I like making them.
Friday, April 18, 2008
If it will Save a Sister
Give me a Blister
If it will Save a Mother
Give me Another
If for a Cure to Unveil
I must lose a Toenail
Then Take all Ten
And LET THE CURE BEGIN!!!!
Toys R Us
Crabtree & Evelyn
and many, many more! Plus search for additional discounts and coupons in the Shop for a Cure Online Mall. Just visit this website and find the store(s) where you want to shop.
Each store has commited to donating a percentage of sales or a flat rate to my 3 Day Walk.
Every little bit helps!
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
I received my first donation through my website today. It was from my sister Erika. Thank you Erika! You rock!
I receive another generous offer today. Patricia wants to organize a poker tournament and donate the proceeds to my 3 Day walk. Woohoo! I can definitely use all the help I can get. So many people have been supportive of my efforts. I feel blessed to know them.
I have another update on the volleyball tournament. We already have 20 people signed up to play. It has only been a week since we started publicizing it and we still have one month to go before the tournament.
The benefit luncheon is coming along too. It looks like May will be a big fundraising month. Here are the events planned so far:
May 1 Poker Tournament
May 7 Benefit Luncheon
May 14 Volleyball Tournament
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
I made chocolate chip cookies and sold them as a fundraiser yesterday. They were very popular. I think my co-workers are getting tired of all the cake I've been bringing in from my cake decorating classes. I'm getting tired of cake too. They will get another one on Monday because I have to make a fondant cake in my next class. I'm definitely going to have to make more cookies soon though.
Sunday, April 13, 2008
The volleyball tournament fundraiser is about a month away. The details are coming together quickly.
42-in-42 Volleyball Tournament
Proceeds Benefit Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
Goodyear Community Park
$10/each additional family member
free lunch and water
We are hoping to get gift cards donated to give as prizes to the winners. I went to a few businesses yesterday and got one gift card from Emerald City Smoothie. Thank you Emerald City! Several other businesses said they might be able to donate too. I'm getting really excited and I think this will be a really fun event. Thank you to the planning committee and especially Steve for getting this together. You guys are awesome!