Over three days this November, I will be walking 60 miles in the Arizona Breast Cancer 3-Day. This walk will be much more than “just a walk” – it will be raising money to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

Over the next several months, I will be spending many, many, many hours in training (By the time the walk starts, I will have logged enough miles to take me from Phoenix to my hometown of Houston!

I have committed to raising $2,200 to participate in this walk. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me achieve this goal. I’ll be doing all the walking...all you need to do is follow this link to my fundraising headquarters to submit your contribution.

You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer and I would be proud to walk in her honor as well. Please feel free to send me an email or leave a comment with their name. I will create a ribbon just for them and attach it to my backpack.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. Both its cause and the means for its cure remain undiscovered. I’m taking on this challenge to do something big that will help raise awareness and help in finding a cure.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope that you’ll share in this incredible adventure with me. Please leave comments or email me (txaggie02@hotmail.com) if you have any questions.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Virtual Trainer 20 Weeks

Countdown: 20 Weeks

Your Training Schedule for This Week:
Monday Rest
Tuesday 3 miles Easy walking
Wednesday 15 minutes Moderate cross-training
Thursday 4 miles Moderate walking
Friday 30 minutes Easy cross-training
Saturday 6 miles Easy walking
Sunday 4 miles Easy walking

Training Tip of the Week: Cross Training

Cross Training can be a helpful addition to your 3-Day training program. It allows you to build muscle endurance while decreasing overuse injuries. Remember the 10% rule: you should increase your activity 10% each week in order to give your body time to recover between your training walks. It is possible to do too much, too soon. Pace yourself and pay attention to how your body feels at all times. While walking is the most important preparation, other types of training that will help increase your stamina and strengthen walking muscles include:

  • Elliptical Trainer
  • Bicycling
  • Stair Stepping
  • Rollerblading
  • Pilates

Strength training through resistive bands or low weights is also an important part of your training program because it can build muscle. Muscle increases your endurance and burns fat better than fat does. It need not be an extensive weight lifting program. Interval or circuit training (i.e. Curves classes) alternate aerobic activity with strength exercises. They can be an efficient complement to your training program.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The packing list is wonderful, Thanks!