Over three days this November, I will be walking 60 miles in the Arizona Breast Cancer 3-Day. This walk will be much more than “just a walk” – it will be raising money to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

Over the next several months, I will be spending many, many, many hours in training (By the time the walk starts, I will have logged enough miles to take me from Phoenix to my hometown of Houston!

I have committed to raising $2,200 to participate in this walk. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me achieve this goal. I’ll be doing all the walking...all you need to do is follow this link to my fundraising headquarters to submit your contribution.

You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer and I would be proud to walk in her honor as well. Please feel free to send me an email or leave a comment with their name. I will create a ribbon just for them and attach it to my backpack.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. Both its cause and the means for its cure remain undiscovered. I’m taking on this challenge to do something big that will help raise awareness and help in finding a cure.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope that you’ll share in this incredible adventure with me. Please leave comments or email me (txaggie02@hotmail.com) if you have any questions.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Virtual Trainer 22 Weeks

Countdown: 22 Weeks

Your Training Schedule for This Week:
Monday Rest
Tuesday 3 miles Easy walking
Wednesday Rest
Thursday 4 miles Moderate walking
Friday 30 minutes Easy cross-training
Saturday 5 miles Easy walking
Sunday 3 miles Easy walking

Training Tip of the Week: Blister Prevention and Care

The direct result of a friction rub, blisters can be caused by pressure in the shoe or moisture from perspiration. Staying well hydrated throughout the 3-Day is important for all aspects of an injury-free walk, and this includes blister prevention. Dehydration allows the skin to fold on itself and create a friction rub. Proper shoe and sock selection also is key to preventing blisters.

Hot spots are places on your feet where you feel tenderness, pressure, heat or pain. If you feel a hot spot during a training walk, stop and change your socks. Increase protection over that area by applying moleskin, 2nd Skin® or a bandage. Moleskin should not be removed until the end of the walk to prevent peeling off of the skin. Be sure there are no creases in the bandage, which could cause friction.

If you develop a blister, try not to pop it. Blisters are nature’s way of creating a protective cushion and protect the skin from infection. Small blisters should be covered with a square of second skin and bandaid or a corn pad. Do not leave second skin on overnight as it will dry out and can irritate the skin.

For large painful blisters, clean the blister with an alcohol pad and have a medical professional drain it with a sterile needle. Be sure to keep the open blister covered with antibiotic ointment to prevent infection. Benzoin liquid, Nuskin or “Toughskin” spray are sometimes used to “toughen” the skin at problem areas. Try this out before the 3-Day. Do not get a pedicure or try to remove calluses before the event or long training walks. Do not wear toe rings on your long walks. The heat may swell your toes and feet, decreasing their blood circulation.

No comments: