Over three days this November, I will be walking 60 miles in the Arizona Breast Cancer 3-Day. This walk will be much more than “just a walk” – it will be raising money to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

Over the next several months, I will be spending many, many, many hours in training (By the time the walk starts, I will have logged enough miles to take me from Phoenix to my hometown of Houston!

I have committed to raising $2,200 to participate in this walk. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me achieve this goal. I’ll be doing all the walking...all you need to do is follow this link to my fundraising headquarters to submit your contribution.

You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer and I would be proud to walk in her honor as well. Please feel free to send me an email or leave a comment with their name. I will create a ribbon just for them and attach it to my backpack.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. Both its cause and the means for its cure remain undiscovered. I’m taking on this challenge to do something big that will help raise awareness and help in finding a cure.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope that you’ll share in this incredible adventure with me. Please leave comments or email me (txaggie02@hotmail.com) if you have any questions.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

I just came back from Texas and had a good ole time. I got to visit with family and friends and do lots of shopping. I spent the first few days in Austin with my sister. She is expecting twins so I co-hosted a baby shower for her. I got in several good training walks while I was there too. Austin is hilly so this was even better training. Unfortunately I missed the 10 mile Saturday walk but I did a combined 9 miles or so on Friday while walking around the neighborhoods and the outlet mall. My sister's neighborhood has some really nice walking trails. Austin was also at least 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix so I didn't have to get up super early for the walks.

The rest of my vacation I spent in Houston. It rained every day we were there. I still managed to get in some daily walks outside between downpours. The last day I walked around the mall before it opened because it rained most of the morning. This was the best walk though because it was cool inside the mall and they played music. I walked 6 miles or 3 times around the mall. Then I treated myself to a big soft pretzel and some shopping.

While I was in Texas I also discovered the New Balance outlet in Houston Premium Outlet Mall. I got a pair of New Balance 828 shoes. I loved these shoes so much that I went back and bought a second pair. Since they were running a $15 off special they were only $45 each so I couldn't pass them up. I saw the same shoes at the New Balance Chandler store for $100 so I think I got a pretty good deal. I also picked up two pink ribbon t-shirts. Since New Balance is a big supporter of the 3 Day I like to support them too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nina, I ran across your post while searching for pink ribbon t-shirts. I applaud your efforts in planning to walk 60 miles. I've never been able to walk more than 5 miles a day. And back in 2006 I had breast cancer, so even that's dropped way down. Thank you so much for taking up the banner! BTW - I wear New Balance Walking shoes too - they are the best.