Over three days this November, I will be walking 60 miles in the Arizona Breast Cancer 3-Day. This walk will be much more than “just a walk” – it will be raising money to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

Over the next several months, I will be spending many, many, many hours in training (By the time the walk starts, I will have logged enough miles to take me from Phoenix to my hometown of Houston!

I have committed to raising $2,200 to participate in this walk. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me achieve this goal. I’ll be doing all the walking...all you need to do is follow this link to my fundraising headquarters to submit your contribution.

You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer and I would be proud to walk in her honor as well. Please feel free to send me an email or leave a comment with their name. I will create a ribbon just for them and attach it to my backpack.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. Both its cause and the means for its cure remain undiscovered. I’m taking on this challenge to do something big that will help raise awareness and help in finding a cure.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope that you’ll share in this incredible adventure with me. Please leave comments or email me (txaggie02@hotmail.com) if you have any questions.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Shoes


As a mentioned in a previous post, I went to a shoe fitting clinic 2 weeks ago. I purchased a new pair of shoes and I'm been breaking them in. Saturday was the first long walk I've worn them on. I honestly haven't noticed a huge difference but I think these shoes will hold up much longer than my other ones. All of the New Balance shoes I've owned have fit really well. However, they don't seem to last very long. I've gone through at least three pairs of shoes already this year. The lady who sold me these new shoes said they should last at least 6 months. Even with all of the miles I will be walking I believe her about these shoes. They seem better quality, more rigid, and more firm than my past pairs. If you buy New Balance shoes go for the higher numbered ones (800 or above). My past shoes were in the 400's and 500's. These new ones are 1040. It definitely makes a difference.



I also purchased some new socks this week. I tried the Thorlos but I thought they were too think and my feet didn't "breathe" well in them. I purchased some Champion socks instead. They have the CoolMax technology that helps keep your feet dry and cool. They are also cushioned on the bottom and around the toes. I wore them for both my 8 mile Saturday walk and 6 mile Sunday walk (different pairs) and I really like them so far. Other socks I've tried are Danskin (which I also like), Hanes Cotton Crews (they are ok but the cushion wears after a few washings), and Hanes CoolMax (too thin). Shoes and socks are the most important gear for the 3 Day so it is important to try out different kinds and find out what works the best for you.

If you are a 3 Day walker let me know what kinds of shoes and socks you like to wear.

No comments: