Over three days this November, I will be walking 60 miles in the Arizona Breast Cancer 3-Day. This walk will be much more than “just a walk” – it will be raising money to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

Over the next several months, I will be spending many, many, many hours in training (By the time the walk starts, I will have logged enough miles to take me from Phoenix to my hometown of Houston!

I have committed to raising $2,200 to participate in this walk. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me achieve this goal. I’ll be doing all the walking...all you need to do is follow this link to my fundraising headquarters to submit your contribution.

You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer and I would be proud to walk in her honor as well. Please feel free to send me an email or leave a comment with their name. I will create a ribbon just for them and attach it to my backpack.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. Both its cause and the means for its cure remain undiscovered. I’m taking on this challenge to do something big that will help raise awareness and help in finding a cure.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope that you’ll share in this incredible adventure with me. Please leave comments or email me (txaggie02@hotmail.com) if you have any questions.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Virtual Trainer 13 Weeks

Countdown: 13 Weeks

Your Training Schedule for This Week:
Monday Rest
Tuesday 3 miles Easy walking
Wednesday 30 minutes Moderate cross-training
Thursday 5 miles Moderate walking
Friday 45 minutes Easy cross-training
Saturday 11 miles Easy walking
Sunday 5 miles Easy walking

Training Tip of the Week: Course Specific Training

Part of your training for the Breast Cancer 3-Day includes practicing conditions of the event.

It's a good idea for training walks to include hills of different grades, as well as walking on flat surfaces. This will help prepare you for any hills you may encounter on the event.

What is the climate expected to be? If it is cool and rainy, try out your rain gear ahead of time. Consider rubber covers for your walking shoes. Practice layering Coolmax or moisture wicking long sleeved shirts under your windbreaker or rain jacket. Take note of your hydration in cool temperatures. Weigh yourself before and after a walk to assess your rehydration status. Often you will not drink enough in cooler weather.

If the climate is expected to be hot, use your shorter training days or walk part of your long walks in the heat to increase your heat tolerance. Exercise at least twice a week in the heat during the last 8 weeks of training. Take extra safety precautions during heat training. Walk with a buddy and be sure to choose a course where you can rest in the shade. Carry your sunscreen with you and reapply it during long walks.

Pre-exercise hydration is very important. Drink at least 16 ounces of fluid 2 hours prior to exercise. Then carry extra water and sports drink with you. Your body requires extra energy to cool your core body temperature down. This can decrease your exercise endurance. Stop if you become fatigued, dizzy or lightheaded.

No comments: