Over three days this November, I will be walking 60 miles in the Arizona Breast Cancer 3-Day. This walk will be much more than “just a walk” – it will be raising money to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

Over the next several months, I will be spending many, many, many hours in training (By the time the walk starts, I will have logged enough miles to take me from Phoenix to my hometown of Houston!

I have committed to raising $2,200 to participate in this walk. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me achieve this goal. I’ll be doing all the walking...all you need to do is follow this link to my fundraising headquarters to submit your contribution.

You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer and I would be proud to walk in her honor as well. Please feel free to send me an email or leave a comment with their name. I will create a ribbon just for them and attach it to my backpack.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. Both its cause and the means for its cure remain undiscovered. I’m taking on this challenge to do something big that will help raise awareness and help in finding a cure.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope that you’ll share in this incredible adventure with me. Please leave comments or email me (txaggie02@hotmail.com) if you have any questions.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

My Spring Training Debut

I'm not a newbie to working out or walking. I go to the gym 5-7 days a week and you can find me in a step class, hip hop, zumba, sculpt, pilates, on a treadmill, or on an elliptical. I would consider myself in decent shape but I have to admit walking 60 miles in 3 days does scare me.

The recommended 3 Day Walk training program doesn't start until May but with the beautiful weather we are currently having in Arizona I wanted to take advantage of it and start my own version of spring training like the baseball pro teams have.

In honor of starting my spring training, I went to my first spring training baseball game on Friday with my friend Sandy.
We watched the Diamond Backs lose to the Padres 3-6. It was a good game anyway and we had awesome seats. One of the great things about spring training games is that you can get tickets at a fraction of the price of regular game tickets. We were right behind the back stop. So close that we could spit on the players if we wanted to (but never on the D-Backs).

I heart the D-Backs!!!


I also heart the Fried Twinkie Man!! But I was very good this time and I didn't chow down on any fried twinkies or other ball park cuisine.


After the game I had all intentions of starting my spring training but I ran into a little problem. I got to the gym and changed into my workout clothes but my pants didn't fit. They were way too big and I didn't have any rope to tie them onto me. I tried to overcome this issue by holding onto them while I walked. I barely finished a mile when I decided this was not a good idea. I had to go home before an embarrassing incident occurred. I changed into some shorts at home and managed another 2 miles before I called it quits for the day. I guess I will try it again tomorrow.

No comments: