Over three days this November, I will be walking 60 miles in the Arizona Breast Cancer 3-Day. This walk will be much more than “just a walk” – it will be raising money to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

Over the next several months, I will be spending many, many, many hours in training (By the time the walk starts, I will have logged enough miles to take me from Phoenix to my hometown of Houston!

I have committed to raising $2,200 to participate in this walk. Please consider making a fully tax-deductible donation to help me achieve this goal. I’ll be doing all the walking...all you need to do is follow this link to my fundraising headquarters to submit your contribution.

You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer and I would be proud to walk in her honor as well. Please feel free to send me an email or leave a comment with their name. I will create a ribbon just for them and attach it to my backpack.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. Both its cause and the means for its cure remain undiscovered. I’m taking on this challenge to do something big that will help raise awareness and help in finding a cure.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope that you’ll share in this incredible adventure with me. Please leave comments or email me (txaggie02@hotmail.com) if you have any questions.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Shoe Shopping



One of the most important things you need to have for marathon walking are several pairs of good, comfortable shoes. I attended a shoe fitting clinic last weekend in Tempe. Erin, the speaker, gave some really good tips. Here are a few:

- Get at least two pairs and wear them every other day. This gives the cushions a chance to bounce back and your shoes will last longer.

- Replace your shoes every 300-500 miles. With my training plan I figure I will go through 3 to 5 pairs of shoes in the next 8 months.

- Try on shoes in the evening because your feet will swell after you've been on them all day. Try them on with the socks or insoles you plan to wear because if you want to wear thicker socks you might need a bigger shoe.

- Get a shoe that has mesh around the top. This will help your feet "breathe".

- Go with a light weight shoe. It doesn't matter if they are specifically walking shoes or running shoes as long as they support your feet.

- If your feet roll inward when you walk you want to look for a shoe with a sturdy inside sole (look for the gray rubber).

Some specialty shoe stores like Performance Footwear, the place sponsoring the clinic, have equipment to help fit you in the right shoes. Basically you put on some shoes they provide, you walk on the treadmill, and a machine video tapes your stride. The salesperson analyzes the video and tells you what kind of shoe you should be wearing based on if your feet roll in, roll out, or don't roll when you walk.

Unfortunately I couldn't stay to have my shoes analyzed and get fitted but I might go back later. In the meantime I found some awesome sales this week at Kohls and Ross and I picked up some new shoes and workout pants. Now I am ready to take on the world of marathon walking.


No comments: